Saturday, June 9, 2012

You can make history too

If you actually read my blog from the home page you may have noticed a few badges I have displayed about indexing. My "other" hobby that has practically overtaken my crafting is genealogy. I've been assisting with the 1940 U.S. Census Community Project. Thousands of volunteers have been transcribing what they see in various columns and rows of the 1940 census to assist fellow genealogists in their quest to learn more about their family members.

Even if you don't "do" genealogy you can help. It's really easy and a "batch" of census records can be indexed in about 1/2 hour for a beginner. Indexing the volunteers do will allow others to search for their friends and families by name, age, residence and other pieces of information.

Until my next post,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment