Monday, January 25, 2010

My First Altered Book


It's not like I don't have access to books. If you remember, I volunteer on a regular basis with the Friends of the Newport News Public Library. It's not like some of the books we get as donations or discards are just a little flawed. But there is just something about cutting a book and painting and drawing in a book (and a library book at that) that made me delay something I wanted to do for a while which is alter a book.

Saturday I took an altered book class at Memories Galore taught by Melissa Samuels. She provided the discarded books and a many supplies like scrapbook paper, paint, gesso, glaze and more. We provided gel medium, distress inks, brushes and a basic kit and then we played.

It was much easier to begin the process when someone provides you a match box and says "draw an outline of your matchbox on the pages and cut into the book". This was for our secret compartment. Then I could cut the book before that it just didn't feel right. I knew the book had been discarded by the library simply because it didn't fit their needs and took up valuable shelf space. After all libraries have to adjust their invenory to what the public wants.

I think we had 14 in the class and it seemed like everyone was having a great time. It was interesting to see traditional scrapbookers take to this and realize what options they have besides 12x12 layouts.

I haven't finished my book yet but will do so and then...I think my fear of altering a book is gone and I'll definately do it again.

Until my next post,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment