Saturday, December 26, 2009

Good enough to eat..and I did


I didn't "make" this gingerbread house, I assembled it. And in some respects that is the hardest part. I've wanted to do one of these for a while but never did.


While hubby and I were down in Disney World last week (more pictures coming soon I promise) we went to a few of the other high-end resorts. I'd heard that some of them really went all out for Christmas so we went to the Beach and Yacht club to see their decorations. They had a facade of a gingerbread house and were selling the kits. It had 10 pieces of gingerbread and the candies to decorate it. All I needed to do was make the icing and assemble it. That was a bit trickier than I had imagined.


The instructions for the icing said to use sifted powdered sugar, egg whites and cream of tarter. Then it gave a basic diagram of how to assemble the pieces and it said "be patient". I wasn't sure what that meant until I realized I'd wished I'd had more hands to hold the pieces together. I cheated and used tooth picks until the icing was dry. It would have been better if they had said to ice each piece individually and let the icing dry for about 5-8 minutes then attach the candies. As it was they were slipping and sliding and I felt like the guy on the Ed Sullivan show with the spinning plates.

It came out OK but I think next time I might just buy a few gingerbread men and skip the frustration.

My one artistic touch was to scatter some green granulated sugar I had. By the way, it is yummy!

Until my next post,
Diane

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed eating your gingerbread house, a very merry Christmas to you and yours !

    ReplyDelete