Sunday, November 8, 2009

If you can't be there this is a good substitute


Some of my long time readers remember that early in my blogging I reported that I had been to Egypt the year before. It's now going on two years since my visit and I would still love to go back. There was so much to see that even though you are looking at it you get over stimulated and awed by what you are viewing. The Chrysler Museum in Norfolk has an exhibition currently with Egyptian art on loan from the Brooklyn Museum and I went there Wednesday to get a little sample of what I've been missing. Having been to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo and even the smaller Imhotep Museum near the step pyramid this exhibit was VERY small. At the museum in Cairo you feel like if you aren't carful you'll knock down some ancient artifact. The Imhotep Museum is more spread out but there is still quite a bit loaded into a small area. "To Live Forever" the theme of this exhibition has more than 120 objects spread out in about 6 huge gallery rooms. But it was still worth the drive and the entrance fee of $5 for military. The Chrysler has some Egyptian items in their permanent collection so I took another look at them too.

Until my next post,
Diane

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing the King Tut exhibition in London many years ago and that was breathtaking ! The quality of the work, especially the jewellery was fantastic to say the least !

    ReplyDelete